How to make perfect sushi rice
This tutorial on how to make the perfect sushi rice is a must have. I’ll let you in on a secret here and tell you that making sushi rice has up until now eluded me. No matter what I try I just never seem to get the sushi rice quite right. I either cook it until it is one big mush or so that the centre of the rice isn’t properly cooked.
So hence my resolve to get over the sushi rice dilemma and get it right once and for all. In doing this I think that I have found the secret to getting the sushi rice correct!
Conquering this sushi rice demon is a big deal for me for a few reasons. Firstly it is expensive to keep buying it pre-cooked. Secondly we all love sushi. And thirdly the little ones in the family love making their own sushi (they have such fun doing this but my word the mess…).
Anyway I have now discovered that making my own sushi rice is possible and a world of sushi rice recipe possibilities have opened up. I hope that you enjoy making your own sushi rice as much as I did, Leanne xoxo
How to make sushi rice
1 ½ cups sushi rice
2 cups water at room temperature
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- Add thee sushi rice and the water to a pot and bring the water up to the boil
- As soon as the water starts to boil turn the heat down to a low simmer and put the lid onto the pot
- Let the sushi rice cook for 12 minutes or until all the water has just been absorbed
- Remove the pot from the hot plate on the stove and let the rice steam in the pot, still with the lid on, for a further 10 minutes
- Once the steaming is over remove the rice from the pot and spoon it into a bowl to allow it to cool down
- Then sprinkle the rice vinegar over the rice and mix it through well
- This should give you perfect sushi rice and endless recipe opportunities, enjoy!